Friday, January 8, 2010

Friday Firsts: The Adventures of Alianore Audley

The first line can make or break a reader's interest.
How well did the author pull you into the story
with their first sentence?


The Adventures Of Alianore Audley

I was ten years old in the 34th year of Mad King Harry the Sixth when Lady Tegolin came to my father at his castle of Newport and asked if she could take me as her pupil.





I don't think it's a particularly gripping line, but it does get the book right to the point by opening with the "inciting incident" in the first sentence. Must be interesting times living under the reign of a mad king, and if he's mentioned in the first line, will he be important to the story in some way? Unusual for a woman to have a pupil in the 15th century, I think? This must be the beginning of Alianore's adventures...


Friday Firsts is hosted by Well-Read Reviews.
If you'd like to join the fun, visit the site for details.

1 comment:

  1. I have wanted to read this for ages! Hope you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Getting feedback on my posts makes my day! Thanks for being here!