Monday, August 2, 2010

Mailbox Monday: August 2


Mailbox Monday is the gathering place for readers to share the books that came into their house last week. (Checked out library books don’t count, but eBooks & audio books do). Warning: Mailbox Monday can lead to envy, toppling TBR piles and humongous wish lists!

I've got two weeks worth of goodies to share today!


A Small Death in the Great Glen: A NovelFinished copy from Atria Paperback, a Division of Simon & Schuster. From the back cover: A lyrical and haunting debut novel about secrets, families, and the forces of good and evil that dwell in every small town.





MatchedGalley from Dutton Books, a member of Penguin Group. To be published November 2010. The galley I received has nothing on the cover but advance praise blurbs and no description inside, either, so I opened up to the first page and here's the first paragraph which has really got my interest:

Now that I've found the way to fly, which direction should I go into the night? My wings aren't white or feathery; they're green, made of green silk, which shudders in the wind and bends when I move - first in a circle, then in a line, finally in a shape of my own invention. The black behind me doesn't worry me; neither do the stars ahead.

NightshadeARC from Philomel Books, a division of Penguin Young Readers Group. To be published October 2010. Calla Tor has always known her destiny: After graduating from the mountain school, she'll be the mate of the sexy alpha wolf Ren Laroche and fight with him side by side, ruling their pack and guarding sacred sites for the Keepers. But when she violates her masters' laws by saving a beautiful human boy out for a hike, Calla begins to question her fate, her existence, and the very essence of the world she has known. By following her heart, she might lose everything. Is forbidden love worth the ultimate sacrifice?

The Eternal OnesARC from Razorbill, published by Penguin Group. To be published August 2010. From the back cover:

     "So how does it work?" Haven asked. "How do people find each other again?"
     "All I know is that we're drawn to the people we've loved before."
     "And do we find each other in every life?"
     The sorrow on Iain's face gave her a sense of how little she knew. "I look for you in every life, but I don't always find you. And sometimes I find you too late."

Sounds like My Name is Memory which I wasn't thrilled with, but I liked the story premise, so I hope this one is better!


From Goodreads Swap:

The Confessions of Catherine de Medici: A Novel



Purchased books on my Nook:


While I am proud to say all of these, with the exception of Linger, were bargain-priced ebooks, I can already see how dangerous it is to own a device on which I can have any book I want downloaded in an instant. But I really am loving it!

If you've read any of the books in my mailbox, I'd love to hear your thoughts!


Mailbox Monday, created by Marcia at The Printed Page,
is now on Tour! This month's host is Chick Loves Lit.
My turn to host comes in December!

14 comments:

  1. Wow! That is a lot of books!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Naomi NovIk I know. The rest are new to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You had a great week! I saw a great review of The Eternal Ones, so it catches my eye. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the cover of Hatched! I LOVED Confessions of Catherine de Medici and hope you do too!

    Happy Reading!

    HERE is my Mailbox Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I got A Small Death in the Great Glen a while back. It sounds really good, doesn't it. Glad to hear you are loving your Nook. I'm seriously considering one. Did you get the free classics from B&N or did you go elsewhere? Just wondering how easy it is to do all that. Have a great week and happy reading.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Confessions of Catherine de medici was fantastic. Happy reading

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a yummy list of books! Great haul. My mailbox is at The Crowded Leaf.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great selection of books. I can now see why owning a device (in which you can instantly download books)is dangerous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. such a wholesome week....terrific selection.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow...there's too many great ones to focus on just one!! Enjoy :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, you got some good ones this week. Can't be the free classics though :) Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great list of books. You have a blog award on my site. Come check it out.

    http://www.thebookbee.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. i got nightshade this week too! thanks for stopping by my blog, i'm a follower now :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Getting feedback on my posts makes my day! Thanks for being here!