Saturday, November 6, 2010

Quick Review: Perfect Chemistry by Simone Elkeles

Perfect Chemistry
From the Back Cover:

At Fairfield High School, on the outskirts of Chicago, everyone knows that south siders and north siders aren't exactly compatible elements. So when head cheerleader Brittany Ellis and gang member Alex Fuentes are forced to be lab partners in chemistry class, the results are bound to be explosive. But neither teen is prepared for the most surprising chemical reaction of all--love. Can they break through the stereotypes and misconceptions that threaten to keep them apart?


My Thoughts:

I'm a sucker for bad boys who fall in love with good girls and I read this book in one day. What I liked about it: it's very realistic, nothing is held back when it comes to describing Alex's gangster lifestyle. There's a lot of strong language in this book, but that's part of keeping it real. Both Alex and Brittany are very likeable characters, the storyline is great and very believable, the sexual tension is smokin', and the romance is sweet. I think Alex steals the show in this one - it was a great ride watching him struggle with the life he's chosen, trying to keep his younger brothers from following the same path, and realizing that he could have more out of life if he has the guts to go after it. What I didn't like about it: the construction of the ending. I don't want to give anything away, so I won't, but I will say I'm not a fan of the "One Year Later" time jump. I also had some issues with Brittany's "I've got to be perfect" motivation, and Alex himself sums up my thoughts pretty well in this little snippet:

Brittany:  "My sister isn't perfect so I have to be."
Alex:  "That's the most pathetic shit I've ever heard."

Did I mention I love Alex? Overall, I was really into this one and if you're a fan of YA romance, you'll like this one, too.


Rating:  4.5 Stars out of 5


*On a side note:  Earlier this year I saw this book reviewed on a couple of blogs I follow and made a note that I'd like to read it, but I forgot about it. I was browsing the book section in Target yesterday and my eyes fell on this one. I hadn't remembered the title or the author, I hadn't even thought about the book since reading those reviews, but I remembered the striking cover image and recalled that it was one I wanted to read. So I bought it. Just goes to show how important a good cover can be and I say job well done to the team who designed this one!

3 comments:

  1. I am glad that there is someone out there who says that covers impress!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like one my Not-So-Bebe Girl Autumn would love! Thanks for the review!

    Julie @ Knitting and Sundries

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Getting feedback on my posts makes my day! Thanks for being here!