Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Time Travelers: Williamsburg Summer Gardens



In my Time Travelers Series, I share some of my favorite historical sites from my travels with my fellow history adventurer, my husband Erin.





Destination: Colonial Williamsburg, Virginia

A trip to Colonial Williamsburg is truly a trip back in time. It's 1774 every day in Williamsburg. As an amateur historian, novelist, gardener and photographer, Colonial Williamsburg is a mecca where I can immerse my senses and indulge all of my hobbies. And lucky for me it's close by!

I'm always drawn to Williamsburg's charming, authentic colonial gardens. All of the plants are plants that would have been found in Virginia in 1774, whether they were native or imported. The ornamental gardens are kept in the style of the times and there are many vegetable gardens, too. These are pictures from my last trip in June of 2009, when the summer gardens were beginning to shine.



5 comments:

  1. Wow! This is a nice series you are doing! And being from Virginia, I was particularly interested in this one! :) I haven't visited this place but looks like I am missing out on something!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd love to visit there. Our timeshare company has a resort there but we haven't made it that way yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All that green in your pictures did my soul good! Is winter ever going to end? My hubby and I keep talking about visiting Williamsburg, partly for the history and partly for Busch Gardens, but we haven't made it yet. Soon!

    I really love this series you're doing. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the support, ladies! You can't go wrong with a visit to Williamsburg. There's great shopping and restaurants, golf for the hubbies and Busch Gardens is by far my favorite theme park. Water Country USA is fun, too. This year I'm going to go down at Christmas time. It's a nice holiday outing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for spotlighting Williamsburg - I went to William and Mary so Colonial Williamsburg holds a special place in my heart too!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Getting feedback on my posts makes my day! Thanks for being here!