Sunday, December 18, 2011

Songs of the Season Music Hop



Songs of the Season

Event production by





Welcome to the Songs of the Season music hop! You're invited to join us every day from December 10-25, to enjoy a virtual round of caroling.

You can visit a different blog each day to find another wonderful music selection, handpicked by a great host. Click here to view the Schedule!

Here's my selection for your enjoyment!

Ya'll know how much I love history, so today I'm sharing one of my favorite Christmas carols from days of yore with you, Past Three O'Clock.

When George Ratcliff Woodward wrote Past Three O'Clock, he took the story of the birth of Jesus Christ and combined it with the traditional cry of London nightwatchmen. This is a popular old song and can be found in any number of places, but I'm partial to the version on my Songs for a Williamsburg Christmas CD, which can be found here. Unfortunately, the Colonial Williamsburg Madrigal Singers don't have a video, so I'm sharing the Monteverdi Choir's version:



PAST THREE O'CLOCK
Old English Carole
(George Ratcliff Woodward)


past three o'clock,
on a cold frosty morning,
past three o'clock,
good morrow masters all.

born is a baby
gentle as may be,
son of the Eternal
Father supernal.

seraph choir singeth,
angel bell ringeth,
hark how they rhyme it,
time it and chime it!

mid earth rejoices
hearing such voices.
ne'ertofore so well
carolling nowell!

hinds o'er the pearly
dewy lawn early
seek the high stranger
laid in the manager.

cheese from the dairy
bring they for Mary,
and, not for money,
butter and honey.

light out of star-land
leadeth from far land
princes, to meet him,
worship and greet him.

myrrh from full coffer,
incense they offer;
nor is the golden
nugget withholden.

thus they: i pray you,
up sirs, nor stay you
till ye confess him
likewise and bless him.


And as a bonus, here's one of my favorite fun country Christmas tunes!

 






Giveaway! Through Dec. 31, 2011:
Win a pretty box of stationery, featuring quotes by
Charlotte Brontë and her sisters!








Giveaway! Through Dec. 31, 2011:
Win a book-and-DVD set of a romantic drama
set in New York during the Gilded Age!

1 comment:

  1. I've never heard that song before, but I can see why you enjoy it so much!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Getting feedback on my posts makes my day! Thanks for being here!