Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Quick Review: The Flame and the Flower

From the Back Cover:

Heather: She was doomed to a life of unending toil...until desperation drove her to commit one shocking, unthinkable act.

Brandon: A lusty adventurer married to the sea, he courted scorn and danger when he abducted a beautiful fugitive.

Destiny: From the tumultuous London dockside to the silken world of genteel privilege, a bold sea captain would make an innocent girl a woman - his woman - and force her to explore with him the realms of breathtaking love.

My Thoughts:

This was my first experience with a true "bodice ripper" and it will be my last. In the first chapter the heroine kills a man defending herself from attempted rape, runs for her life and ends up with the "hero" who then rapes her himself, repeatedly. And I don't mean a case of "your lips say no but your eyes say yes", I mean lips, eyes, fists and feet all say no. I didn't make it to chapter two. I skimmed a few pages here and there through the rest of the book. I actually found it very disturbing. Millions of copies of this book have been sold? Why?? There was a time when women actually found reading about rape-based relationships appealing?

My Rating:  1 Star out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Getting feedback on my posts makes my day! Thanks for being here!