Friday, April 2, 2010

Friday Firsts: The Boleyn Wife


The first line can make or break a reader's interest.
How well did the author pull you into the story
with their first sentence?


The Boleyn WifeOverhead the sleek black ravens circle and caw, while below my window the workmen chat merrily, their voices hale and hearty as they call to one another above the din of hammer and saw. They brush the sawdust from their leather jerkins and woolen hose and go blithely about the business of building the scaffold upon which I shall soon die.


As far as first lines go, I think these are pretty good. They paint a picture, the movie is starting to roll in my head, and the narrator has dropped a bomb I can't ignore. Off to a promising start, I'd say.


Friday Firsts is hosted by Well-Read Reviews.
Visit the site to share your current read!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Getting feedback on my posts makes my day! Thanks for being here!